For the benefit of both our residents and visitors, and in cooperation with others we strive to faithfully restore, maintain and interpret the physical, historical, and cultural legacy of Lahaina, Maui, first capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii.
 
Hale Aloha

An old adobe thatched building which preceded Hale Aloha was referred to as “The School House” and was built in 1831. The members of Waine e (now Waiola) Church in 1836 purchased lumber and with their own hands laid a good floor and made desks and seats for the school. In 1851 the Kauaula wind destroyed the building. Later the Waine e Church voted to replace the ruins with a new house in commemoration of their said God’s causing Lahaina to escape the small-pox epidemic that desolated Oahu in 1853. The new building was completed in 1858, and was named Hale Aloha.

In 1908, Hale Aloha was thoroughly repaired to be used as a parish house for Waine e Church. By 1973 this building, owing to neglect, was roofless and floorless. Efforts on the part of the Maui County Historic Commission and the Maui County Planning Department obtained a preservation grant from the Housing and Urban Development Department for $100,700. The grant was to be matched by State and County funds. Plans and specifications were prepared by an architectural firm; the site was acquired; and over the years leading up to 1985, Hale Aloha was restored structurally. However, there remained approximately forty percent of detailed restoration uncompleted. An agreement was reached between the County and the Lahaina Restoration Foundation to complete restoration at Hale Aloha at the Foundation’s own expense. The Bell Tower, funded in part by gifts from two directors of the Foundation, was completed in 1996. It is an exact replica of the tower built in 1910. An out building was finished in 1989 and major restoration of the exterior stonework was completed in 1992.

Hale Aloha was leased to a local company, which undertook at its own cost the redesign of the interior. All rents and fees collected are held in a trust fund restricted to the support of Hale Aloha, which will always remain a wonderful example of historical preservation.